Skip to main content

Adamawa youths block highway, protest spate of kidnapping


Hundreds of Adamawa youths on Tuesday blocked the federal highway passing through Girei community to Yola, the state capital, and other parts of the state to protest against incessant kidnappings in the area.
The youths, who are from Girei Local Government Area, rendered many travelers and motorists stranded.
They avowed that they would not open the road until the authorities, particularly the Governor or Commissioner of Police, address them and commit to addressing the menace.
Alhaji Saidu Hamman-Girei, spokesman of the youth, also theYouth leader, (Sarkin Matasa) of Girei District, said recently about 10 persons in the community lost their lives to kidnappers.
“But what we are hearing now is that, there is an order from the police headquarters that the suspects be released,“ he alleged.
He said that between N60 million to N70 million had also been paid as ransom to kidnappers.
“We mobilised and supported the security in arresting about 11 suspects with pieces of incriminating evidence, We want the Commissioner of Police to come and tell us why, because serious tension is brewing here.
“I had to intervene yesterday to stop youths from burning down Girei Police Station,’’ Hamman-Girei said.
When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) for Police Command in the state, DSP Suleiman Yahaya, said the Commissioner of Police had sent an Assistant Commissioner of Police in charge of operations to Girei to handle the situation.
Yahaya said that he was not aware of any suspect that was ordered to be released, adding that about eight suspected kidnappers were facing prosecution in court.
He said that four others had been transferred to Force Headquarters, Abuja for further investigations.
Yahaya, who lauded members of the public for supporting the police in the fight against kidnappers, assured that the command would not disappoint them.

source:NAN



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reject List From Countries In breach Of 30 Percent Women Representation – Njai Tells ECOWAS Parliament

A Gambian representative to the ECOWAS Parliament, Honorable Fatoumatta Njai has challenged the Community Parliament to reject list of countries that are short of thirty percent women’s representation to the Parliament. Speaking in an exclusive interview at the official Opening Ceremony of the Fifth Legislature’s delocalized meeting of the Joint Committee on Social Affairs, Gender and Women Empowerment / Education, Science and Culture/Health, currently holding in Monrovia, Liberia on the theme, “ Empowerment of Women in the ECOWAS Region.” Njai said that some countries lack female representation in the Conference of Bureau, this according to her is disregarding the ECOWAS Rules of Procedure. “The Rules of Procedures mentioned that each member country should have a female representation at the Conference of Bureau. Each country has three members in the Conference of Bureau, so each country can at least have one female member which will be thirty percent representation. I thin...
ECOWAS Parliament pushes for immediate solutions to region's humanitarian crisis Lawmakers of the ECOWAS Parliament says its seeking to invoke its parliamentary powers to resolve the humanitarian crisis across region. This is following the report presentation by the Parliamentary Joint committee on Political Affairs, Peace and Security and APRM/Legal and Judicial Affairs, Human Rights, Protection of the Child and Vulnerable Groups on the security of the Region. As contained in the report, the political situation in the Republic of Guinea as well as the political and security situation in Mali among others, calls for serious attention most especially as it regards to pre and post-election situations, and which also arises from the preparedness level for the presidential elections that are planned in 2020.  Honourable Snowe Jnr of Liberia responding to the report said that there is an urgent need for the ECOWAS Parliament to utilize its power ...

Deploy Technology for free and credible elections- Goodluck Jonathan challenge ECOWAS

Ifeanyi Valentine Nigeria’ s Former President, Dr.Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has called on the ECOWAS Sub region to utilize the possibility of technology in our electoral process so as to have free and fair elections. He said this while making his contribution as one of the panelists at the ongoing First Extra Ordinary Session put together by the Fifth Legislature of ECOWAS Parliament holding in Monrovia the capital city of Liberia. According to him the reason why citizens of the sub region often times lost confident in their leaders is because they believe the use the power of incumbency to manipulate the electoral system so as to continue to perpetuate themselves in power even at the detriment of the people. He said that if full technology is deployed in all the stages involved in the electoral process the elections will not only be free and fair but it will completely eliminate the manipulation and rigging of election results.’ “When technology is deployed across board you w...