Skip to main content

Reps fault FG’s N187bn spending on school feeding programme


The House of Representatives has faulted Federal Government’s claim of spending N186 billion on its School Feeding Programme by the National Conditional Cash Transfer Office.

The House Committee on Public Accounts picked holes in the spending while grilling the National Coordinator of the School Feeding Programme, Mrs Temitope Sinkaye; Coordinating Officer, National Safety Net, Mr Apera Iorwa, on the disbursement of N64 billion out of N186 billion said to have been so far spent on feeding pupils public schools.

Chairman of the committee, Mr Oluwole Oke, particularly described it as outrageous and unacceptable.

Consequently, the committee demanded a complete audit of the programme with immediate effect.

The lawmakers were especially enraged by a document submitted to the committee, which showed that NICTO received a credit of $400m from the World Bank, $321m from recovered ‘Abacha loot’ and another $400m said to be balance from Federal Government equity fund.

Sikanye told the committee that the feeding programme had been ongoing since 2016 when the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs initiated it and had so far gulped N186bn.

She said N63.2 billion was spent in 2018, N32.2 billion in 2019 and N124.4 billion in 2020.

Members of the committee, however, disagreed with the expenditure, decrying that many schools, including those in their constituencies, had yet to benefit from the programme.

Mr Ifeanyi Momah (Anambra, APGA) and Mrs Miriam Onuoha (Imo, APC) particularly dismissed the report. Momah faulting the claim that 200,000 pupils from different families had benefited from it from Ihiala Local Government Area of Anambra State, where he represents.

Oke stated that the committee would look at the documents submitted by the coordinators, expressing doubts that the National Assembly appropriated the funds.

 

 

Source: punchonline


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ECOWAS Parliament, others strategize on food security, fight against Covid-19

Speaker of the Parliament of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS Parliament) Sidie Mohammed Tunis, has been joined by  experts in the sub region and other stakeholders to strategize on how to improve food security and  agricultural production in order to ameliorate the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic on the region. This is the crux of the ECOWAS Parliament Delocalised meeting with the theme " Agricultural Production and Food Security in ECOWAS region under Covid-19 pandemic" scheduled to begin on Tuesday November 10 in Bissau, Guinea Bissau. Speaker Tunis, who led a delegation of members of Parliament for a courtesy visit on the President of Guinea Bissau, Umaro Embalo, at the Presidential Villa in Bissau on Monday ahead of Tuesday's opening ceremony, said Guinea Bissau was chosen for the meeting because it is believed to be stable. The Speaker said :  "As you all are aware, Covid-19 has had very negative effects on food production, which is threat...

Reject List From Countries In breach Of 30 Percent Women Representation – Njai Tells ECOWAS Parliament

A Gambian representative to the ECOWAS Parliament, Honorable Fatoumatta Njai has challenged the Community Parliament to reject list of countries that are short of thirty percent women’s representation to the Parliament. Speaking in an exclusive interview at the official Opening Ceremony of the Fifth Legislature’s delocalized meeting of the Joint Committee on Social Affairs, Gender and Women Empowerment / Education, Science and Culture/Health, currently holding in Monrovia, Liberia on the theme, “ Empowerment of Women in the ECOWAS Region.” Njai said that some countries lack female representation in the Conference of Bureau, this according to her is disregarding the ECOWAS Rules of Procedure. “The Rules of Procedures mentioned that each member country should have a female representation at the Conference of Bureau. Each country has three members in the Conference of Bureau, so each country can at least have one female member which will be thirty percent representation. I thin...
Benin Republic set to review Constitution on terms of Political Office. In a year when many countries on the continent and in West Africa are changing their constitutions to allow for incumbent presidents to run yet again, the Beninese National Assembly has approved a major constitutional reform to discuss the precision on the two terms of office of the President of the Republic among other issues. Detailing the political situation of Benin at the floor of the ECOWAS Parliament, the country report presented contained that the constitutions review was to address the current political situation of the country marking a new Republic following two unsuccessful attempts. The report stated that “Benin Republic has after the April 2019 Legislative elections experienced a tense atmosphere following the frustrating feelings from political group who were unable to participate in the legislative elections, due to the inability to meet the requirement on the law on the constit...